Monday, March 10, 2008

What I Thought!: Lives of Performers

After sitting through the viewing of Lives of Performers today, I had a hard time grasping what all was shown and what it all meant(if anything). Like many of the films we've seen in class, the length could've been cut down drastically and still have the same(if not more) effect. I wouldn't say that I hated the entire film, but most of it I just couldn't get into at all. First, what I didn't like was the weird off-screen narration over the still images, I just didn't see the humor/point in that. I understand the juxtaposition of the weird tales of Mt. Olympus with the still photographs of people doing odd things, but it just didn't translate well to film in the end.
What I did like was the part where the narration was describing the two girls and the guy who kept switching between the two. I thought it was pretty excellent because it was telling a story we've all seen countless times in films, but it was in almost the simplest form possible; Narration with very minimal performance. I also liked the idea of the end shots but I think it went on a little too long as well. Rainer could've cut down the number of the end shots and it would've been a little more humorous. I did like the idea of people posing in photographic poses for extended periods of time and how their faces became tired pretty easily.
As for the imdb comment, I don't completely agree with the guy (he does have a hell of a writing style though), but I do see where he's coming from. I did love the part:
And yes, I expressed the opinion to the film-maker herself, but she shrugged me off by saying, "Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but if you were familiar with the history of cinema, then ... (blah blah blah)." Lady, I don't need to know anything about the history of cinema to be able to call a spade a spade.
I would've loved to be there for that.

And that, folks, is... What I Thought!TM

No comments: